Friday, 2 March 2007

The sticky one...but it smells delicious!

So yesterday the snow devil's completion faced yet another set back.

Hat body? check!
Left AND right horns? check!
Weaved in tails? check!

So I hear you ask....why the delay? why oh why is the hat sitting AGAIN on a balloon on the windowsill?

All that because of the flu...yes, really.

The flu that made me decide in the morning yesterday to pop into my local supermarket to try and find flu medicine (which they don't i miss the drug-loaded shelves of UK superstores) and lemon juice to sooth my throat. Ah, i know what else will help my throat...honey...mmh, by now you probably see where this is going if you are at all aware of the fact that my knitting lives in my big bag AND that Dutch supermarkt do not provide you with free plastic bags for your shopping.

So I get to the till, arms full of goodies by then (mmh, big bag of croissants that can live in the freezer for those saturday mornings where you want a warm sweet smell in the house...and crumbs on the sofa) and in my hurry to get into work decide that shoving all the shopping in my great big bag will just have to do.

Later that day, chocolate craving sets in, I reach into my bag for the hazelnut bar i know it contains and my hand meets an unexpected....stickiness. The chocolate bar sticks to the bag... but wait, it also sticks to my hand, and little pieces of lilac wool cling to my fingers as I pull my hand out. OMG noooooooo, it smells oh-too-familiar, like the cough sweets from Metabief when I used to go to the cream shop with my hope to be wrong I grab the bag and start digging for the honey jar and find it, oozing its sweet scented sirupiness as it rests upside down against the bag of croissants. For the rest of the day my mind wonders how much is on my wool, on my partially knitted jumper, on my lilac hat that just this morning I was tidying up, ready for the horns to be placed.

I get home. Longest train ride in a long while as I dare not take any knitting out. The bag sits on the kitchen worktop as I take out and rinse the shopping. Sticky croissants and bread rolls, sticky sicilian lemon bottle, and somewhat sticky patch on my jumper knit and on the wool that goes with it. The lilac hat seems unharmed.

Jumper gets rinsed, wool follows, and i settle to finish the sewing of the mohawk...which i do and then decide that since I got sucked into watching double-jeopardy and REALLY want to know how it ends I will attempt the kitchener stitching of 'the horns', after stuffing them with polyfiber.
But when I picked up the hat I realised that there was in fact the equivalent of 2 tbsp of honey on the rinsed it got, and put to dry on the head sized inflated balloon to make sureit does not shrink...I will tackle the horns who knows, maybe some photos this weekend!

No comments: